I just had a very blogworthy weekend ... so blogworthy I need at least three posts to get it all out. So here we go...
Blogworthy Weekend, Act 1 (acts 2 and 3 should be along soon after)...
Saturday night Naomi and I went to a concert called "Behold the Lamb" that's done by Andrew Peterson, with help from Derek Webb, Sandra McCracken, Jill Phillips, Gabe Scott, Andy G-something-or-other and Eric Peters. That lineup was enough to get us to drop $10 a person on tickets -- we didn't need to know what the concert was all about. If you don't know these artists, I highly recommend you check them out -- google them, look 'em up in I-Tunes or wherever else you get music.
Anyway... it was, quite simply, the best concert I've ever been to. It had a little bit of everything, and everything was done really, really well.
Andy P. started with one of his songs and then introduced the other musicians and explained what would be happening that night. Then five of the artists -- Derek, Sandra, Andy G., Jill and Eric Peters -- each had a chance to do two songs -- each did one and then they went through the lineup again.
I knew what I would get with Derek -- he's always tight. I had heard at least one Sandra song (Derek has done a few she's written -- they're husband and wife) and I knew of Jill Phillips, but had never really listened carefully to either of them. They were both revelations. Very strong singers with well-written, pleasant songs. Sandra has enough country in her (particularly on a song called "Chattanooga") that when Derek joined her on her second song it seemed very much like he was playing Johnny to her June Carter Cash. Andy G., who happens to be married to Jill Phillips (are they trying to breed talented musicians?) was the big winner of that part though with his offering of a song about Andrew Osenga's toe.
Yes, you read that right. Andy played a song about a toe. Not just any toe though. Andrew Osenga's toe. Andrew Osenga has appeared in this blog before -- he's the guy who replaced Derek Webb in Caedmon's Call. He's also the guy I met in Denver on my way from the rental car place to the airport terminal. About a month after that chance encounter he cut his toe off in a lawnmowing accident. Well Andy G seems to find inspiration in odd places and wrote a riotously funny song about Andrew Osenga's toe: it's last meal was roast beef; it wanted to go off to market too; it left in a helicopter ... you get the picture.
Now, 48 hours later it seems rather macabre to laugh about another guy's misfortune, but I'm sorry -- it was THAT funny. I've gotta get a copy somehow. If only I could remember Andy G's last name!
With apologies to Eric Peters, who was good, but not as good as the other four, we now move on to the second half of the show.
Oh ... my ... goodness.
So the second half was the "Behold the Lamb". Andrew Peterson (there are too many Andrews in this story) explained that he wanted to do a Christmas album, but not with covers of the traditional (read: overdone) songs. He wanted to do new material. So he did. Then he invited some friends along to help make it awesome. So Andrew wrote the songs using his clever, whimsical lyrics (he does one song about the lineage of Jesus that is amazingly good considering that the lyrics are really weird names connected by "begat") and folks like Derek, Sandra, Jill and others provide harmonies and background vocals.
He also works in, at various points, plenty of violin parts, drums, a dobro and a hammered dulcimer, creating this rich blend of sounds and also showing off the incredible collection of talent on the stage. One such highlight ... Gabe Scott and John the violin guy (playing mandolin instead) on an acoustic version of "O Come O Come Emanuel". It was just worshipful seeing talented people use those talents and do it to honor Him.
The whole thing was ... whatever the aural version of a spectacle is ... an auracle? It was something to behold, except via listening and not beholding. You get the idea.
Lyrically, it was exceptional in that he begins, not with Mary, but with Moses. He goes all the way back into the Old Testament and spends at least the first four songs dealing with the history of Israel and the prophecies that set the stage for the birth of Christ. Understanding that this context is so important he makes sure we get it before moving on to the events captured especially well in Luke and Matthew.
When we do get there, and spent the latter half of the concert exploring that, there's a well of worship ready to spring forth. I haven't had such a hard time sitting since I was a fidgety 12 year old. I wanted to leap onto my feet hands outstretched and sing with them: "glory to God!" Listening to and interacting with the final two or three songs was the most worshipful experience I've had in years. It captured the whole season for me.
Again, musically it was the best worship I've had since I've been back in America. Lyrically, it was better than all but about ten sermons I've ever heard in my life. On the whole, nothing quite measures up to Handel's Messiah as a Christmas masterpiece, but this is a fine entry for the 21st century.
If it comes to your neck of the woods, I highly recommend checking it out and only hope that I haven't created too high an expectation in your mind.
More later ... for now, I've got to go home and eat some dinner.
1 comment:
John,
Good post. Everyone I know with blogs who saw the concert has blogged about it! I found it ironic (but not surprising) that you didn't dwell on Eric Peters because one of my good friends blogged solely about how much she loved him: http://cathy.likeafire.net/?p=349. Note my comment, which ties in with your second post on the weekend. Music speaks more powerfully to me than words do, too, but I'm right-handed. :)
Btw, I trust you found out Andy G.'s name is Andy Gullahorn and you can buy his stuff here: http://andygullahorn.com/. His site is as funny as he is.
Post a Comment