Wednesday, August 06, 2008

It's Noisy in Here!

I begin this post with a big sigh. Brennan is finally quiet--with the help of a pacifier and his activity mat. Lately, he has begun crying and screaming when he is not being held. So much so that his voice actually sounds hoarse. We can sometimes put him down and he'll be okay, but only if we stay within about two feet of him. Anything further (even if he can still see us) is enough to bring on the wailing. We certainly enjoy holding him, but let's be realistic. It's impossible for one or the other of us to be holding him all day long. But doing those other things that we do without our extra appendage becomes stressful when the background music becomes the sound of an upset child.

Now, we are first-time parents and have never had to deal with separation anxiety stuff before. This is definitely a trying time for us! Sure, Brennan has had his moments and afternoons before where he got upset when he wasn't being held. But nothing has ever lasted this long before and to this intensity. We're pretty sure he's not sick. He's sleeping well and eating decently. No fever and no other strange behavior. Maybe he's finally cutting teeth? Or maybe he just really is having a hard time with having Mama and Daddy not in his immediate vicinity.

I did have one very small victory today, though. I was actually able to put Brennan on the living room floor and made brownies. He could still see me and hear me, and I could still see and hear him. He was occupied with some toys and he even looked up and smiled at me. It lasted long enough for me to get them mixed up, but the tears came just as I was getting things cleaned up. I'll take those small victories when I can get them!

We really do want Brennan to feel safe and secure and to know that when we leave him, even for just a moment or two, we'll always come back to him. But it is difficult to weather this storm. I try to remind myself that this too shall pass, but it's hard to remember that after enduring hours of endless crying and screaming with pauses only for sleeping and eating.

He's still quiet. The pacifier has fallen out of his mouth and he is engaged in playing with some hanging toys with his feet. Esther is laying nearby and that is helping occupy him as well. I'm enjoying my brief moments of silence when I can get them. It's an all-too precious commodity these days!

No comments: