Reading about the very real plight of hunger prompted me to think about Frank, the six-year-old Rwandan boy we've been privileged to sponsor through Compassion for the last two years. We love getting to write to him and get letters back from him. We love
to pray for him in our nightly family time since it helps connect the
boys to another part of the world. As I was writing to him a few days after finishing that book, I reread Frank's most recent letter to us. In it, he had thanked us for the money we sent him for his birthday and he shared what he used it for: to buy food for his family.As I read that portion of his letter, my heart was stirred with a mix of emotions. When my boys receive birthday money, they want to buy a new toy with it or use it for some fun experience. When Frank gets birthday money, he uses it to help support his family. Such a contrast of cultures. We live in a culture of such excess; his is a culture of extreme need. Reading that book and Frank's letter were eye-opening and heart-wrenching for me.
Pondering the realities of hunger, it can feel a bit overwhelming because of the dire need in so many parts of the world. For me, I'm so grateful that we can help one little boy in Rwanda have a fighting chance in this world.
1 comment:
I appreciate your thoughts here. And would love to hear more about book blogging. :)
Post a Comment