Friday, July 29, 2011

Eucharisteo

After hearing about One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp from several people, I decided it was time to finally read it for myself. After months of waiting for it from the library (one copy with many, many holds!), I finally got it and finished it only a few days ago. It's one I can't get out of my head. And it's one I can't recommend highly enough.

The entire premise of the book focuses on eucharisteo. One simple word so rich in meaning. Thanksgiving. Joy. Grace. Living a life of gratitude. And not just gratitude for the big things of life. Embracing joy every day, in every day moments. We often become so busy, so wrapped up in just doing life that we neglect to see the good gifts showered on us by our Heavenly Father all day, every day. As the author's eyes opened to this idea of eucharisteo, she began to realize that incorporating gratitude in her life required intentionality. She began keeping a gratitude journal to record those gift-moments. Thus began her list of 1000 gifts (and it's still going!). Writing the gift list helped her develop the spiritual discipline of gratitude, which in turn spilled over to create a heart of worship for the everyday love poured out by God Almighty.

I am still digesting this book, but already the intentionality to see gift-moments is growing stronger. My own gift list will soon be started. And I can't wait.

1 comment:

Anne Frank said...

HOORAY! I love this book. I think Chris and I are up to #600 something and we started in March. It definitely i is a discipline, but so worth it!