Other than marking the onset of the Lenten season, Ash Wednesday is also a day of repentance. Repentance is definitely an area I need to improve on. In my prayers, it’s so easy to just rattle off a quick list of sins that are in the forefront of my mind and then move on to the things I want God to do for me and call it good. I can’t remember the last time I actually focused on repentance. Not just asking forgiveness, but really, truly repenting of my sins. Remembering them, asking the Holy Spirit to help me remember my sins, and letting my heart be broken over the ways that I have grieved my Father. When was the last time I let repentance allow my heart to be changed—recognizing the seriousness of my sin and pledging to turn away from it, with the help of the Spirit? Sorry to say I can’t remember.
I think the issue of sin has been totally glossed over in society and in our churches. Sin is the big, ugly elephant in the room that no one wants to acknowledge. It’s not fun. It’s not easy. But for our churches and for each individual to become more Christ-like, we need to acknowledge it, bring it out in the light, and get cleaned up.
I hope that I can spend time today in repentance. I also hope that it doesn’t become a once a year type of thing. To truly follow hard after Christ requires that it become a more regular habit.
No comments:
Post a Comment