Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sneaky Mama

Now that Brennan is becoming a more independent eater and not really keen on eating any sort of pureed vegetable that still remains in the freezer, it's a little more tricky for me to find foods that he's going to like and that are easy for him eat on his own (at age one, he only has two teeth on the bottom that are fully in and is starting to get four teeth on top). Thanks to Parents Magazine, I tried a new recipe last night that sneaked in some yummy zucchini--Mini Vegetable Cakes. Brennan liked them so much that he ate three of them. Even John and I liked them! These will be a repeat recipe for sure. I'm even thinking ahead to what other vegetables I can grate and put in there.

Mini Vegetable Cakes
1. Combine half an 8 1/2 oz. package corn muffin mix with 1 egg white and 3 tablespoons water.
2. Stir in 3/4 cup shredded zucchini (the actual recipe also adds 1/2 cup chopped canned beets, but we didn't try that).
3. Drop batter by the tablespoon in 2 tablespoons hot canola oil.
4. Cook 2 minutes; turn and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, until browned.

No comments: