Sunday, March 04, 2007

Things I discovered on my trip to Virginia

1. Poker is fun when you're winning. Last Saturday my friend Ruben, who plays frequently and wins often, had me over to his place in Richmond and we got to playing Texas Hold 'Em. We split up the chips evenly and I took all his money three straight times before we ran out of time with me comfortably ahead on the fourth time we had started over with even stacks. I would love to say I am secretly an amazing poker player, but the truth is that the only thing sicker than I was (and still am) were the cards I was getting. I beat Ruben on my kicker at least twice -- we both paired up sixes once and queens once (I think) and each time I had a stronger kicker. If he paired up eights, I had nines, and so on and so forth. I have to give Rubes credit though -- he took it well. Just wasn't his day. I think I rather like just playing head to head -- less to think about with other players. I still focus too much on my own hand and not enough on what the other players might be doing.

2. Coffee can be good. I needed some help waking up upon arriving in Virginia two weeks ago. I'd gotten to bed at about 2:30am and was up again at 6:45. My friend Dan put on a pot of java and poured me some in a travel mug for the road. I took one sip and ... holy beans! It was actually good! I tend to drink coffee only for it's medicinal purposes, and as I drink it so seldom, the caffeine tends to have a dramatic impact on me. Well this was more than just a drug ... it was pleasing to the palate too. So I asked Dan where I could pick up some of this fine brew. His answer: Costa Rica. Seems he was there not too long ago and brought some back. Bummer.

3. Cheap Target sunglasses can survive in a dryer set at 125 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes and be none the worse for wear (just a little hot). This was a pleasant surprise.

4. End of the Spear is a good movie, but Amazing Grace (cheating slightly -- actually saw it in Orlando yesterday) is better. The latter movie is instantly on my top 10 list. But more about that later...

No comments: