Last week I was at Biola University for their annual missions conference. During the first main session, before the speaker came to the pulpit, they had students come to the front of the assembly area carrying the national flag of the country they are from (though in some cases I'm not sure the flag-bearers were actually from the country in question).
This isn't all that unusual (Moody does it, as do several other universities), but for some reason it affected me more this time. As I watched them each walk by I thought that it would be like that one day in heaven. Except that, instead of countries being represented, it would be people groups. And the procession would not end so quickly. The parade of flags at Biola ended after about 30 students had come forward. There are over 200 countries in the world, and thousands of people groups. All will be represented in heaven, according to Revelation 5:9 and 7:9.
But that day still seems to be far off. Right now there is no one to carry the flag of many of these people groups. And for some reason the truth of that sank in that day more than it ever had before, and my heart wept. I hope I can some day come back to Biola, to the parade of flags, and see the Iraqi flag and the Saudi Arabian flag alongside the flags of Myanmar, Chad, Sudan and dozens more. I hope some day there will be scores of Christians in each of those countries, dozens who can enjoy a solid Biblical education at a school like Biola, and many who will take the Gospel to neighbors in people groups that are yet unreached.
The next day the leaders of the missions conference did something I'd never seen before: a parade of majors. They had student carry signs announcing their major and props that were associated with that skill or practice. Members of the student body cheered loudly when their major came down the aisle (I think the nurses were loudest). I was pleasantly surprised to see this, and it felt so right and good to me. I think it's great to honor the academic achievements the students are making, and to celebrate their entry into these disciplines as committed Christians. I think the development of Christian nurses is awesome, as is the training of Christian audio/visual professionals, Christian historians, Christian writers, Christian sociologists and Christian musicians. I think we ought to encourage and celebrate those who will be excellent in those fields and be a light to those they labor alongside. I also hope to see many of them use those skills as platforms on the mission field for entering into closed countries, serving the physical, spiritual and emotional needs of the saved and unsaved alike as a testimony to His unwavering love for them.
So it was a moving week. Sometimes it's easy for missions to become blase for me -- like I've seen and heard it all a thousand times. It was good for me last week then to be stirred again and remember what I'm working toward, and to have an emotional response to it all. I feel refueled and reinvigorated, redetermined in the ultimate aim of all that I labor for.
1 comment:
John
It's good to hear that about your experience at Biola. You do a great job painting a picture in my mind through your writing. I've always appreciated your writing skills (or prowess, you might say) - making me laugh, consider something deeply, or describe something in a unique way.
It's also good to hear how Biola is educating (based on what you saw). I know what it's like, too, to feel like I've heard it all before in the missions world.
Post a Comment