I was delighted when I reached Amsterdam even though it was about midnight for me, I didn't sleep at all on the plane and I had about 40 minutes before my next flight left. It was great just to be in another country again. Europe always forces me to think differently and broaden my horizons a bit. America can be such a bubble, and I've grown pretty comfortable in that bubble over the last few years. Just walking through Schiphol Airport and seeing all the non-Americans and the Dutch writing made me realize: yes, there's a whole other world out there, one with different ideas, values, opinions and ways of approaching life. And I can learn a lot by spending time in that world. It helps me understand better the one I spend most of my time in.
My late-morning/afternoon in Vienna was a bit different. It was great to see my good friend and former roommate Chris again (he met me at the airport) and to see his wife Anne and new baby Cole (not the one pictured below). I saw their place and Chris and I had a good time catching up over lunch. But it was weird being back there. A restaurant I was anticipating eating at is closed now; it took me a few minutes to get my bearings and remember how the public transportation worked. As great as it is to see Chris, he's married now, and a Dad, so it's way different than when we lived together here. So many other people that made my three years there special are gone now. Most are back in the U.S., one has gone to be with the Father. It's the people and the relationships that make a place special -- I've learned that on visits to old homes and to my alma mater. This is much the same. Today felt a bit like eating stale bread -- it was really good once, but it didn't quite fit today. On the other hand, I was working on an hour and a half of sleep (on the plane from Amsterdam to Vienna) so take it all with a grain of salt. We'll see if I still feel the same next week when I've had more time there.
I'm in Slovenia now. My contact met me at the train station which was a relief since I didn't have his phone number or address. Now I'm off to bed and will see what Maribor has to offer tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment