Wednesday, December 05, 2012

A Mother's Heart

Brennan totally melted this mama's heart last night during our nightly devotional/prayer time. We came up with prayer list of people that we pray for regularly. Tuesdays are evenings that we pray for me. Brennan was sitting next to John, but during the middle of his prayer for me, Brennan moved over to where I was sitting on the other couch. He wrapped his almost five-year-old arms around me, laid his head down on me and said "I love you, Mama." I about melted. Brennan has never been very effusive with things like that, so this was the first time I can ever remember him taking the initiative to tell me that he loves me. Love that boy.

The thing that has been filling this mama's heart about Owen lately is how much he loves to "cook" in the kitchen. When we drop Brennan off at preschool, he immediately begins asking to go home to cook. I've been finding more excuses to be in the kitchen in the mornings lately to give him chances to actually help instead of just pretending. He was tickled this morning to get to help hold the mixer and stir things as we were making bread. His complete joy over getting to "cook" fills my heart. Love that boy.

Ella makes my heart a little heavy, especially this Christmas. Sometimes I want to get angry over the unfairness of life; this should have been our first Christmas with three. But when I find myself starting to get sad or angry, I find comfort in asking Jesus to give her a big hug from me and to let her know how much she is loved and missed. Can't wait to get to heaven to give her my own big hug! So...instead of another "first Christmas" ornament on our tree this year, Ella gets a different, special ornament. One that reminds us of how much more wonderful her Christmas will be this year (and every year). Miss that girl.


No comments: