Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Shape Shifter

Kids change your life. Everyone knows it. They force you to move beyond yourself. Caring completely for little people utterly dependent on you for everything can be wonderfully rewarding and tear-your-hair-out difficult all at the same time. Kids bring about change in an obvious way. No more going out without a babysitter. Dates require some serious planning ahead. The house isn't as clean as it once was. No more sleeping in. Sometimes even sleeping through the night is a challenge!

But then there is a more subtle way that kids bring about change. Ladies, you know what I'm talking about. Once you have kids, things shift around on your body. Clothes that once fit just don't quite work the way they once did. And this can be a hard thing to come to grips with. I was faced with this a few days ago as I began to take stock of my long-sleeved garments in preparation for fall and winter (bring it on, cold weather!). Even though I knew this, it hit me more poignantly this time around, particularly as I had to put away shirts that I loved but have no chance of ever fitting into again. Birthing and nursing two kids has forever changed my shape. And that's okay. I think it's worth the trade-off. Besides, I get some new clothes out of the deal!

I was reminded of these thoughts when I came across this article on the blog "Blissfully Domestic: The Smart Girl's Guide to Life." And then I looked at my kids and embraced my changed shape once again. Some things will probably never go back to the way they were pre-kids, but I'm good with that. My boys are well-worth it.

No comments: