Saw Derek Webb in concert last night. I've seen him four or five times in Caedmon's Call, but never before as a solo artist, which he's been since 2003. I've always loved his stuff and thought that the best CC songs were always the ones he wrote. His latest album is an excellent addition to his catalog. He's a brilliant lyricist.
As I'd expected (and hoped for) he talked a fair amount between songs last night. I appreciated what he had to say to set up each song and let us know what was on his mind when he wrote it. In introducing a song called "My Enemies Are Men Like Me" he talked about something that really struck a chord with me...
He pointed out that Christians are often most outspoken about -- and known for -- what they are against. They are: against immorality, against the devil, against blatant sin, against abortion, against gay marriage, against stem cell research, etc. etc. Would it not be better, he asked, if they were just as outspoken about what they were FOR. Because Christians are: for loving their neighbors, for hope for the hopeless, for freedom from bondage and oppression, for prodigals returning home, for protecting widows and orphans.
If the world regarded Christians more for what we are in favor of and less for what we are against, wouldn't the world be more inclined to become like us?
So I'm now totally against people who are always against stuff.
I write this with intentional irony, because I saw much of myself in Derek's words. This last week I was thinking about what I've put on this blog and what I intend to put on here in the future and it occurred to me that a lot of it is ... well, I don't know how to describe it. It's not negative per se, but it's mostly about pointing out how things aren't quite what they ought to be. I wasn't able to really put my finger on what it was that was bugging me until last night. I realized that I'm a person who is against a lot of things -- especially against things in the church that I think are off the mark. I've never been shy about calling it like I see it (sometimes to the consternation of my supporters!) While I think that can be a useful habit and sometimes even a gift, it can also very easily make me into a complainer or pessimist.
I think it's time for me to focus more on being FOR some good things than so much against some bad things: in my heart, in my tongue and at my fingertips.
But first I have to really discern what I am "for". I haven't thought like that in a while. So, while I figure that out I'll get two more "issues" off my chest. :-)
Stay tuned...
1 comment:
Nice post. Good stuff to think about.
Post a Comment