Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Reading your way to better intimacy

Naomi and I decided this year to give each other a list of books to read through that’ll help us to get to know each other better and the things that we enjoy or are important to us.

My list for her:
The Hobbit – J.R.R. Tolkien (a classic. Also shorter and tamer than the Lord of the Rings, which is what I really would want her to read).
Selections from Perspectives on the World Christian Movement – multiple authors (great articles about my favorite topic: missions)
The Genesee Diary – Henri Nouwen (she’d already read my favorite Nouwen book – The Way of the Heart. This one, about his stay at an abbey in New York, is also excellent though).
Reversing the Curse – Dan Shaughnessy (all about the 2004 Red Sox and on the list because she thinks that her liking the Minnesota Twins is the same as my liking the Red Sox. This book will help her understand what Red Sox Nation is and how there are others out there just like me and I’m not THAT odd).
The Silence of Adam – Larry Crabb (the best book I know about why men are the way they are – but I admit I haven’t read Wild At Heart).

Her list for me:
Far From the Dream – Lance Wubbels (Chick-lit. She loves it. I’m skeptical. But at least she chose one that takes place during World War II. As long as something blows up every 50 pages I should be fine).
Mind Siege – Tim LaHaye (it’s about the conflict between Biblical Christianity and Secular Humanism and how Christian thought is being rejected and replaced in the U.S.; I’m looking forward to it, but it’s reeeeallly long)
Classic Christianity – Bob George (no idea, but Bill Bright liked it and that's good enough for me)
Just Like Jesus – Max Lucado (I know she likes Max Lucado and wanted me to read something by him. I never had until our church went through Com Thirsty. Maybe she’s hoping I’ll take the title to heart).
Lies Women Believe – Nancy DeMoss (the best book she knows about why women are the way they are)

Caveat: This is not a list of our favorite books. We’ve already read most of each other’s favorites. We bought them for each other as birthday and Christmas gifts while we were still just friends – though that was one of the things that tipped me off that she was interested in me. I think she’s the only person not related to me that ever sent me a birthday present while I was in Austria!

No comments: